Upgrading from M2Nano -> keep 400mm/s engraving speed?

About the delivery: the price is with all taxes included ? No surprises at European customs ?

This is the stepping motor I have, to be precise:

42BHM48-168A

There’s a relay closure on the board for the air pump. you’ll have to wire in a relay on the air pump’s power input.

As far as the steppers go - you’ll need external drivers as the max current the laserboard delivers is 1.2A.

There are two firmwares available for the board - Smoothie and GRBL. Smoothie, with some recent improvements, can scan a lot faster than it used to be able to, but I’m not sure if it’ll reach 400mm/sec. The other option is to flash GRBL to the board, which will allow faster scanning rates - again, not sure if it can reach 400mm/sec. At any rate, it’s worth it alone to allow the use of Lightburn.

I can’t speak to the taxes/duties or whatever - I bought mine in the US and wasn’t subject to any of that.

Thank you for your help!

There’s a relay closure on the board for the air pump. you’ll have to wire in a relay on the air pump’s power input

About this, could you precise? Do you know where I can find documentation about this by any chance?

I’m not sure there is any documentation, per se, about the air assist pins in particular. I asked a question a few months back on the forum about these and the need to use a snubber diode, but it didn’t really go into the wiring details.

You’re in Europe, right? you will need a 250V SPDT relay with a 24 volt DC coil. To the common terminals, you’ll attach the 250V power input from the wall socket. To the normally-open terminals, you’ll connect the air pump. On the upper-right corner of the laserboard, there is a closure marked “Air assist” or similar. That’s a 24VDC output which will close the relay when commanded to by the software. Connect this to the coil terminals on the relay.

In Lightburn, under the layer properties, there will be an “Air Assist” switchbox. Check that when you want the air pump to operate when cutting a particular layer.

A lot of information is located here at #documentation and #faq

• Please show pictures of all the electronics currently inside your laser, in particular the control board and motors.
  • Read this: Improved Raster Speed Firmware Update for Cohesion3D Boards!
  • Understand that the stock board inside your machine (assuming M2Nano style board) is only engraving using black and white dithering, there is no power control. Our board does power control which is a lot more data to send and the numbers (240mm/s) in the firmware update article above reflect that. Simple black and white items can engrave faster, and using dither for images also will. My point is that it is a complex question with a complex answer.

No, go through something like a relay or solenoid. Do you mean air pump or air compressor? Details at: LaserBoard Air Assist Control

No, our site just has the cost of the product and the cost of shipping it to you. Import taxes, fees, and other charges are your responsibility as the buyer. Every country is different.

@loather - our new Smoothie Cluster firmware now exceeds grbl at raster engraving speed so GRBL is no longer needed/ used. External drivers are not necessarily required, I’ll wait to see pics of the stock electronics and motors.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer.
I really don’t have a flair for electronic, the language barrier making it harder…
I was hoping help from a step-by-step guide and a complete parts kit.

As far as a complete solution for the air pump - something like this with your country’s power connectors would do the job:

Control board and motor here.

I’ve read most of the documentation I could find so far but it’s all very theoretical for me (for now anyway). I just wanted to make sure I bought the right stuff for my specific machine (and not buying something useless, or worse, missing a part)

Understand that the stock board inside your machine (assuming M2Nano style board) is only engraving using black and white dithering, there is no power control. Our board does power control which is a lot more data to send and the numbers (240mm/s) in the firmware update article above reflect that. Simple black and white items can engrave faster, and using dither for images also will. My point is that it is a complex question with a complex answer.

I understand, that’s very clear, thank you. I will mostly (99%) will engrave big black and white raster images, so I guess I’ll get good engraving speed.

No, go through something like a relay or solenoid. Do you mean air pump or air compressor? Details at: LaserBoard Air Assist Control

I’ve read that already, that’s too techy for me… What I have currently is an air pump with a 110v US/China plug, currently plug in the machine (see picture first post). Do you also sell this relay I would need to connect the air compressor?

No, our site just has the cost of the product and the cost of shipping it to you. Import taxes, fees, and other charges are your responsibility as the buyer. Every country is different.

I know the fees for my country. With this information, I know how much it would cost now, thank you.

External drivers are not necessarily required, I’ll wait to see pics of the stock electronics and motors.

Please confirm :wink:

Thanks, I’ll look for this in my country.

Also, you don’t have any reseller located in Europe ?

Waiting for an answer to buy :slight_smile:

Tried to find the equivalent here. In your opinion, that would be enough for the air assist ?

https://www.amazon.fr/100-240-Output-Supply-Converter-adaptateur/dp/B01MCZVA1B/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ

That would be a good power supply for the board and motor drivers, but wouldn’t help much for what you want to do with the air assist.

I can’t seem to find a pre-built product on amazon.fr that does what you want - my command of the French language is not great, which is making it hard to search. I’m not sure of the electric codes there or if it’s even legal :frowning:

In any case, I can draw a diagram and show you how to connect things to a relay, though:

You will need a relay like this one:

https://www.amazon.fr/x/dp/B00I374G2A/

There are probably cheaper options. It needs at least 1 NO contact.

Good luck!

1 Like

That’s actually… extremely helpful!
Thank you, now I know what to do exactly (and what to buy!)

Now I just need a confirmation from Cohesion that I don’t need a stepper driver with my actual setup before ordering…

1 Like

External drivers are not necessarily required, I’ll wait to see pics of the stock electronics and motors.

Could you please confirm ? I need to order asap. Thank you

Everything i’m reading about that motor says it’s a NEMA17 with hold current 1.68A. You could try it with the onboard drivers set to 1.2A (max) but it might lose steps when changing direction at high speeds. I’d try it without first, then buy them afterwards if need be. Be sure to pick up the external driver cables just in case.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, please understand that Cohesion3D is one person and rushing me will not get a faster response. Quality responses take thought and time. Please read this before placing your order: About Us & Expectations [IMPORTANT]

No, only available from us directly in the USA.

Interestingly, your wiring likes a lot like Serge’s in the other thread. What sort of homing sensors are on your machine?

This is his picture. I am now genuinely curious if there is something weird about these sensors that is playing not nice with the board. If you also have these type you may want to get a few simple microswitches just in case.

Your board uses build in stepper driver chips, and you’ve got normal sized Nema 17 motors in there so I have hope that the drivers built in to LaserBoard will suffice.

@loather it is worth noting that a lot of motors are rated by peak current (but not always), while our 1.2 amp driver max is done by RMS current. When you convert that to peak current, you get to 1.7 amps peak capability on the LaserBoard. This is why I think it should be ok, although it is worth confirming which thing way the motor current is rated.

This is a good suggestion.

Other notes: the stock blue USB cable is shit and can cause communications issues. Get a better one, perhaps the one we sell.

If you are in a rush, things will not go well. You may have to redo some of the wiring (again see Serge thread - I am specifically thinking about the laser fire wires, and my comments above regarding the potentially weird homing sensors) and on top of that there is tuning of the board configuration for your machine and a learning curve with the new software and workflow. You need to plan to set aside time to work through any issues.

One last note is that this video is a great resource in general, and also with regard to the specifics of modifying the board configuration file for larger machines such as yours:

Hi Ray,

First of all, I’d like to apologize if I was appearing pushy, I didn’t mean to. I’m myself also under a lot of pressure to make this work and I really appreciate you trying to help. You doing this alone is also something I didn’t know and that I respect. I’ll make my peace that it will take the time it needs to work.

I also think of myself as someone organizes, this is why I’m very peculiar with my questions, making sure I order everything right and that I’m correctly prepared once I receive everything and that I don’t lose another 20 days in delivery and customs and another 5 days in a obscure (for me) config file, the the time difference not helping. Preparation is key, especially when one is not electronics-enclined. I also read most of your documentation and FAQ, fyi.

That said, let’s go back to the issue at hand.

Yes, it seems I have the same sensors as Serge, I hope I won’t have the same issues:

I also took the liberty to take pictures of the rest of the machine:

Be sure to pick up the external driver cables just in case.

This is a good suggestion.

Why would I need the stepper driver cables without the stepper driver itself ? I’m not sure I’m following.

You need to plan to set aside time to work through any issues.

You’re totally right and that’s exactly because I know I’ll spend hours on this that I anticipate as much as possible any issue/special configuration that might occur.

One last note is that this video is a great resource in general, and also with regard to the specifics of modifying the board configuration file for larger machines such as yours:

I’ve already watched this one, also very helpful.

To recap, what I need to buy for sure is:

• The laser board (with PSU included)
  • USB cable
  • Stepper driver cables (for an unknown reason to me atm)
  • 2 microswitches to eventually replace the ones I have right now in case of issue.

Am I correct?

Right. Buying the stepper driver cables is so in the event you need to purchase off-board stepper drivers later, you have the cables available without having to place another order with C3D, go through customs, taxes, etc. - while I like giving Ray money because of all he does for the community, it will likely be easier for you to buy stepper drivers on Amazon if you need them later.

1 Like