Stepper motor wiring

Machine: K40

Board: Cohesion Mini

Firmware: _Smoothie

Problem/ Question: Hi I have to change my stepper motors as the ribbon broke, I have looked at the cohesion mini board diagram and a bit confused with the wiring.
The wires on the stepper motors I have are red (A+) blue (A-) green (B+) Black (B-).
your diagram for the steppers pin out show B1 A1 A2 B2 so is 1+ and 2- or am I read this wrong.
Hope this makes sense

If you look at the diagram for the Mini you’ll see the upper left corner shows a stepper motor with two coils. 1A and 1B are one coil, and 2A and 2B are the other coil.

If you look directly to the right of that you’ll see the four green lines representing the pins that go to the stepper motor. (1B 1A 2A 2B)

In the photo below you can see that the red and blue wires are one coil and the black and green wires are the other coil for the specific stepper motor shown.

You may want to confirm which wires on your stepper motor are used for each coil (never trust the colors.) You can do this using a multimeter by checking for continuity between wires to indicate a coil.

Great thanks for the response. I think I got it, was just not sure how I can identify which way round they go.

That’s an easy thing to fix though - if you find your motor spinning the wrong direction you can swap A1 and A2 or B1 and B2 (but not both) and the motor will start spinning the opposite direction.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.