Split air-assist (2 channels?)

Machine: K40 M2Nano

Board: Laserboard

Firmware: Smoothie, I think?

Problem/ Question: I just got the air assist pin outs operating my 12v extraction fan utilizing a relay (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LW15F42/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Is there a way or a place on the Laserboard for another relay trigger? I’d like to be able to toggle my air assist on or off as well. Which now that I think of it, would need to be toggled in Lightburn as well, and I don’t even know if that’s possible.

Thoughts?

I’ll rephrase the question as “I would like to drive additional peripherals beyond air assist, such as also turning on a water pump, air blower, LED lighting, exhaust, etc.”

Just about everything that is exposed on the LaserBoard is protected in some manner in an attempt to prevent people from blowing things, or at least blowing the whole board, because of a wiring malfunction or mistake. This means that things like the laser output and air assist output are buffered and you are not plugging into the actual pins on the microcontroller.

All this said, there are some raw GPIO pins available on the 2 headers in the middle of the board for the GLCD Adapter and “Ethernet Expansion”. Since for the most part we are not using the Ethernet Expansion, those pins can be used to control a relay module like the one you have listed, or a MOSFET module like this, which can then drive the other things.

I can locate the information regarding that pinout at a later time.

As far as controlling in LightBurn, you can assign Macro Buttons to turn these additional switched outputs on and off (you would also have to define them in the board’s config file).

The important parts are:

• The actual labeled air assist is already set up in the config file to work with LightBurn with no changes.
  • You have been warned that making a mistake here can cause damage to the board. Proceed at your own risk.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.