SOLVED - Smoothieware on windows 7 64bit - Installation Fail

Machine:K40, M2Nano
Board: LaserBoard
Firmware: “I have a new board and I’m using whatever it came with”

Problem/ Question:
Laptop: Toshiba Satelite

Using the Installer
I am getting an “Install Failed” when trying to load the smoothie driver using “smoothieware-usb-driver-v1.1exe”

Manual Update
I am also getting an error when using the files in “smoothieware-windows-signeddriver-v1.1”

Please do the following:

Provide pictures of your board, machine, and wiring.

Confirm what USB Cable you are using, in particular whether it is one of the Chinese blue ones.

Show a screenshot of your full Device Manager window, no cell phone pics please.

Here are the pictures you requested.

Observations:
When the LaserBoard is unpowered I am able to use the smoothieware-usb-driver-v1.1.exe installer and get a succesful instilation. There’s no way to do a manual update because there’s no Smoothieboard in the device manager yet.
installer%20with%20Unpowered%20LaserBoard
But once the LaserBoard is powered the OS detects the new USB device and initiates a driver instilation, at this point it fails to install, even though the drivers were loaded previously.
installer%20with%20powered%20LaserBoard
A manual install through the device manager also fails.

manual%20update

It looks like several other people running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit are also having similar issues with their smoothieboards.

"Just a post for anyone that finds this issue and possibly for someone in the dev community to fix.

I was having problems getting the windows drivers for smoothieware to work on a Win7 Ultimate x64 build.
Turns out the 1.1 driver inf file has a missing line in the vista 64 section as follows:

usbser.sys,0x20

If you add this to the smoothiware.inf file the driver should install fine.

Cheers" Windows 7 64bit driver issue

Hardware:

And is the SD Card in the LaserBoard? In this picture it does not appear to be.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
Yes, the SD card is inserted into the LaserBoard when it is powered on.

There are two files on the card:
config.txt
FIRMWARE.CUR

Sorry, I reused a picture that I had taken previously to verify the pinout.

Thanks again for your time and attention.

SOLUTION

step 1: download latest firmware
directions here

step 2: replace files on SD card

step 3: flash the firmware

step 4: connect USB cable to computer, let OS detect the new USB device.

step 5: open and edit smoothieware.ini
after comments “Vista-64bit Sections”
[DriverCopyFiles.NTamd64]

add line “usbser.sys,0x20”
save file.

Adding this here for anyone else reading. Steps 1 - 3 seem to suggest using different firmware from the smoothieware website.

You need to use our builds, not that.

The board already comes with the correct files on the SD card, and if you do need to reflash them, they are available in #documentation on the forum.

2 Likes

Thanks. You are right. Once I made the correction to use the proper firmware source, everything worked perfect.

Thanks. I’ll update the post so as not to misdirect anyone in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.