Should I kill myself now? (Upgrading to C3D from RAMPS)

Ray from C3D suggested dropping a message here as I’ve just ordered a C3D board for my ‘previously upgraded’ K40 that had RAMPS/MARLIN 1.0 installed. Badly. It was upgraded from a Moshi board, which wouldn’t have worked with K40 Whisperer or Lightburn, but it is now utterly incapable of engraving correctly - blame the 8 bit brain I guess, and there are all sorts of issues like laser permanently firing, even in overscan etc that I just don’t know how to deal with. So C3D it is!

In short they’ve soldered directly to headers, which isn’t such a bad thing (although bad normally), as there’s less to rework - they just used flying leads and solder - but I think they’ve ruined the 12 pin ribbon socket…

If anyone could help and tell me how much of a sod I’ve got here - I’m almost temped to bin this machine and get a new one at the moment :frowning:

Even knowing where/how to get the right 12 pin ribbon cable would be a bonus at the moment!

I have more photos, but can only post 2 as a new user.

TIA!

The ribbon cable is unobtanium. The chinese keep that a closely guarded secret as to from where it’s obtained for manufacture of the units - suffice to say that many of us have looked for replacement ribbon cables and come up completely empty.

It looks like that’s on the controller end. If so, this is actually a good thing. Take the ribbon cable out of the connector and discard that whole pile of stress-inducing nonsense. The C3D board will come with a compatible ribbon connector, so all you’ll have to do is slide that bad boy in place :slight_smile:

As far as the rest of the connections go, it should be a pretty quick upgrade from the marlin. The Y motor on the 4 pin JST-XH will move over (probably) as-is, and you’ll need to identify L and G from the LPSU and connect those to the board through the screw terminals. This machine is probably going to be a fairly easy conversion (I say probably only because there may be some gotchas involved with the previous conversion that you’ll have to work through, but they’ll be minor).

Good luck!

Thanks Loather! I have a bit of a light at the end of the tunnel!

Yup, that was the controller end - they didn’t seem to mess with anything else really. As soon as I moved the board to check it out the wires started pinging off their connections - the solder was not up to par!

I have no idea what a JST-XH is, or what cream I should be using to cure it, but I’m sure I’ll work it out - same as having to work out how to deal with removing connectors - haven’t done that since DOS 5.5 probably, but hopefully it’ll all come back to me!

And if it doesn’t work out, you will have learned more, and can buy yourself a new K40 that the C3D can drop into. It’ll be cheaper to get a new K40 than to get replacement parts for this one.

Do you still have a potentiometer on the front panel? Most previous “other board” conversions I have seen remove this. We leave it for important reasons. (We should have this item in stock again in a few days if you need it).

Haha. The JST-XH is the white connector with four wires coming off of it immediately next to the stepper drivers and that absolutely lovely rastafarian-colored four pin abortion of a solder job :slight_smile: It should pull out easily.

Hi Ray, yes the pot and the analogue ammeter are all A-OK on the machine. There’s no ‘knob’ to the knob anymore, just the stalk, but you can’t have everything I guess!

Haha “No worries mon!”

1 Like

Unbelievable the level of sleazy unprofessional work some people will stoop to. So sorry you got stuck with it! :face_vomiting:

1 Like

You’ll need to be more specific… are we talking about this particular wiring job, the K40 in general, or manufacturing as a whole industry?

Jeez, I thought it was pretty clear, given that I was responding to his thread. I’m talking about the ‘work’ that was done on this particular K40 by whoever sold it to him.

Perhaps my attempt at humor in the form of “it’s funny because it’s true” did not make its way over text.

2 Likes

Ah gotcha! :laughing:

Meh, it was done by a hobbyist for his own purposes - I’d hate to have someone look at what I bodge together sometimes :joy:

Shoot, when I do something for my own use, that’s my VERY best work. I have to live with it! Not that I’d ship crappy work to anyone else either.

The OCD in me prevents me from doing that kind of thing. I always take the time to solder cleanly, remove flux, heat shrink, dress, etc… I dunno, it makes me feel happy to see things clean and in order. (though you wouldn’t know it by the state of my desk, workbench, shop, etc.)

Or as they say in a different industry, “do it right, or do it again.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.