OMTech Installation - Endstop Wiring

Machine: OMTech 40w with M2Nano
Board: LaserBoard

Firmware: I have a new board and I’m using whatever it came with

Problem/ Question: I haven’t even powered on the new board because the endstop wiring (4-3 wire)supplied with the OMTech laser is too short. I’m just making sure I didn’t do the wrong thing already. Brand new to lasers, brand new to Cohesion3D. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, D! I have upgraded your trust level so that you can now upload photos.

Please provide clear pictures of your machine, control panel, board, other electrical components, and wiring with the LaserBoard connected. We need to see how and where everything is connected.

I have a K40 from Ebay, bought three years ago… Looks like the same machine OT is selling now.

I was just installing my new Cohesion3D board yesterday and had the same problem.
I will show some pictures later to share my fix.

I actually sawed off part of the metal bracket so I could move it to the left so the cable would fit.
The only other option would be to splice in an extension to the cable, but I wanted to avoid that.

Hi Gregory,

Thank you for your reply. I might go the cut and splice route since I have very little confidence in sawing metal. Looking forward to seeing the pics! Thank you!

• D

Here’s the photo. It’s about 3" short for my comfort level.

3dCohesion peeps, you may want to start selling extensions to the cable if OMTech has changed their layout.

1 Like

I’ll do some more research. Might be able to find those connectors with an extension cable at some place like AliExpress.

I would have to find a name for those type of connectors…

Edit:

Here is what you need: Single/Double Head Wire Cable Connector

Also, and something I should have thought of before I did all that cutting of the metal, I could have just drilled new stand-off holes a couple of inches to the left.

Looks like Greg may have gotten you sorted. Thanks for the info, Greg!

I’m getting my OMT 50W in today. Can’t wait!

There are some other wiring options available for endstops, depending on your type of model. For reference: Installing Endstops or Limit Switches

2 Likes

AHHH! Perfect. Thank you. Though, the 30day shipping is not exciting. I’m looking at this from Amazon (https://tinyurl.com/3s8uxsfs)

Think those would work?

& Here’s some Male/Female
https://tinyurl.com/99md6em7

That should work, just plug the stripped end of the cable into the existing female connector…

I like this also: Cable

It is female to female, so you could use little solid pieces of wire to connect the two connectors together.

Let me know if I can help… I’m still looking for a similar cable at amazon that is male to female.

Here’s a pic of where I trimmed the metal…

1 Like

Thank you for your help, Starla! Good luck with the 50w! I’ll be interested to see/hear how it works out. I was very tempted to get that b/c of the pass-through!

Thanks, D! I’ve been rearranging today to prep for its arrival and had to take the passthrough into consideration. I’m now set for that and got my three 3D printers shifted around… it’s starting to feel like my own mini Maker Space.

My old K40 bit the dust, so I’m awaiting a power supply and just got a new tube. I’m going to yank the old LPSU out and wait for my HVT to arrive via the slow boat from China to try to repair it “for fun” sometime soon… probably after the new wears off of the inbound machine. :slight_smile:

Good luck with your rewire! Let me know if you need anything.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.