Mechanical Drawings

Is there a place to get mechanical drawings for the cohesion3d? I am trying t o figure out functionality specifically is there a hardware input that signals the program to pause. I have issues with overheating as the temperature here has been 104 F. Currently I have installed a cutout on the laser itself that shuts off the laser to protect itself but this doesn’t pause the program so what every I was working on just becomes scrap. I was thinking there has to be a more elegant solution to this. I have looked all over for wholistic I/O diagrams but can’t seem to find them.

Best we’ve got is still this:

So any thoughts on my above situation? I am looking to pause the laser when an external switch closed or voltage is applied. I’m trying to prevent overheating as well as scrapping hours worth of work.

Currently I have installed a cutout on the laser itself that shuts off the laser to protect itself but this doesn’t pause the program so what every I was working on just becomes scrap. I was thinking there has to be a more elegant solution to this. Do you have any suggestions?

for a CO2 laser you can get a refrigerated chiller that will cool the water in the cooling loop. They’re quite effective at keeping the temperature down, but cost a couple hundred bucks.

For a diode? Put fans around to improve the ventilation in your shop I guess, or hold off running the jobs until at night when it’s cool enough to keep the machine from overheating.

Or, if you’re running the job from LightBurn, hit the pause button in the UI mid-cycle and it should hold off until you’re ready to restart.

I have a chiller this is for an over-temp scenario. Our days can be in the 100’s and the chiller can’t keep up and when the safety cuts out it shuts down the laser and the software keeps running. I was looking to signal the program via a switch or input to pause the program until the state clears.

If you’re streaming the gcode from lightburn there’s no effective way to do this - it’d require at the very least some janky input signal to the machine running lightburn to tell it via a macro to push the pause button for you, or at best have a custom feature built into lightburn to do this for you. Probably unlikely.

If you’re running code from the SD card, however - and I haven’t tested this - you might be able to use the pause/play switch header to accomplish it. One of the two switches on the board is “reset” and the other is “pause/play” which will, in theory, do what you want. Once an overtemp condition is reached, pulse the pins once and it should pause the program. When the overtemp condition clears, pulse the pins again and it should restart it where it left off - but only when running code off the SD card, with the job started from the GLCD. It might be worth playing around with, even though this method is a bit more cumbersome than running it straight from lightburn.

1 Like

Yep, loather’s response nails it.

If you’re using SD Card there might be a way to create a pause button. If you’re using LightBurn to stream there’s a pause button in the software.

In either case, I cannot recommend a software or controller based solution for a hardware problem. The correct course of action is to use an active chiller like a CW5000. However, this unit can cost as much or more than the K40, so I understand the concerns there.

1 Like

Thank you for the response! So the play/pause pins right behind the button can be used as an open contact that just needs to be momentarily closed to change state?

I apologise about the slow response I have been tied up for the last week, again thank you!

Thank you for your response and acknowledgement on loather’s comment…

The pushbutton labeled KILL in this diagram and the header behind it share the same electrical connection. So, depending on physical access, you could use the built in push button, or hook up a Big Red Button to the header for a more fun experience :slight_smile:

I’d recommend going into the config file, using the kill button pin for the play/ pause button, and setting the kill button pin to nc

Ty I am unfamiliar with the config file but I will look into this and see what it takes to make the above changes, again thank you!

This is one of several articles in our docs that talks about working with the config file:

It may be a good starting point, plus https://smoothieware.org/

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.