It should not be this hard

previous post update
ive been trying to get the drivers to work since 8 am this morning its now 14:30 !!
i have read EVERY POST on installing drivers both manually and through the .exe files
it should not be this difficult
my setup is as my previous post
i have 2 machines both running windows 7 premium 64 bit and neither will load a driver to make this board work, i am starting to think i have wasted nearly 400 usd with my import charges!
can someone please help
the lights on the board are all ok and 2 blinking as they should
there are files on the sd card both config and CUR
in device manager smothie serial has a yellow explination mark
and under the driver it sys windows encountered a problem installing the driver " a service installation section in the INF is invalid
despite using the latest ones on the forum
if i have to flash the card i dont know how to and dont really want to as the issue seems to be windows drivers not firmware
any ideas before i return the board,camera,software ect

A Google search for Smoothieware Windows 7 driver turns up this page:

http://smoothieware.org/windows-drivers

Have you followed the guide there? The drivers weren’t created by C3D - they were created by the people who make Smoothieware, one of the firmware packages used on the C3D. If you can’t get that to work, you should be able to flip to GRBL-LPC firmware - that uses different drivers (or none at all) and would be another way to get everything working.

Hi
thanks for reply
i have tried that, and just about everything else mentioned on the forum, been trying everything for 10 hours!
how do i flip to grbl ? and what is the difference?,
i was lead to understand it would work on windows 7
but it seems i am not the only person who has had a problem with this operating system and the c3d with smothieware
. may be worth mentioning on your site that there are know driver issues with windows 7 Oz as i have spent a fair bit of money getting a board to the uk $400.00 and spent all day without joy,

This is not my site - It’s C3D’s - two different products, owners, and companies.

There is GRBL-LPC firmware available here for the C3D Mini board: https://cohesion3d.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000740838-grbl-lpc-for-cohesion3d-mini

I do not actually know if that works for the LaserBoard as well - there are configuration differences between them, so it might work with no issues, or might not. It’s easy to switch back if it doesn’t work and won’t damage the board. Copy the firmware.bin file onto the SD card, plug it into the board, power up the board and watch the LED blinks. If you have the LCD, you will need to unplug it because GRBL doesn’t work with it.

As mentioned in the Smoothieware drivers page, it does work with Windows 7 for nearly everyone, but Windows is a vast landscape of code, drivers, and applications, and not all of them play nice together. The LightBurn camera, for example, had an issue with one user because they had installed Sketchup, of all things. Blaming C3D for a rare driver issue with a decade old operating system isn’t entirely fair. I understand that it’s frustrating, but it should also be solvable.

understood entirely Oz i do appreciate it ,as i am flippen pulling my hair out.

i am wondering if there is a issue with the board the because i have tried it on 2 windows pc’s Win7
i tried the GRBL bin file for spreadcycle. bin not stealth.bin just now ,because you mentioned it.
i did not rename it however
and i removed the smotheware config file first before flashing the new GRBL bin file,however it had a long name (not just firmware.bin)

should i have kept the original config file? that was flashed on the board and smothieware or do i just use the grbl bin and should it be renamed to firmware .bin

as it stands i have a board i cant use unless i update all my pc;s to windows 10

You can leave the config file on the board - it’s not used by GRBL, but if you ever do put Smoothieware back you’ll need it again.

Copy the GRBL firmware binary to the SD card and name it firmware.bin

Insert that SD card into the board, power it up, and wait for it to go through the startup cycle. You should see the LEDs change a little, and then go into a consistent pattern. At that point, plug in the cable and see if it connects. In LightBurn, you’ll need to choose GRBL-LPC as the driver instead of Smoothieware.

That is not the correct firmware file for the LaserBoard, and this is not the course of action I would recommend. Please do not do anything, and wait for my official response when I handle support inquiries later today.

i didnt use the min grbl file ray as i didnt think it was right
i hope things havent been made worse by swapping files and incorrect advice…thus far
please help me when you can ray as i am very very deflated after 14 hours of trying…
regards
nick

what do you recommend then ray…waiting for help

I recommend you get someone that knows about PCs to help you.

This is a very trivial task. There’s clearly something very wrong with your PC.

Here, as a test, take it to another computer and plug it in. See if it works. If two computers give you the same result it indicates there may be a problem with the board or the USB cable (I take it you’ve tried a different cable in your 14 hour ordeal?).

What does device manager show when you plug it in?
Is there an audible indication when you plug it in and unplug it?
What does the USB indicator on the task bar show you?

I agree, 14 hours is excessive - what was it Einstein said?

I did a computer maintenance course so am not thick when it comes to pc,s
Windows 7 is the problem as i (as explained tred it on 2 windows 7 pc,s ) in the end i had to upgrade to windows 10
Its not compatible with windows 7 ultimate …period
The driver s available on c3d,github,and smothie do not work on the 7 ultimate build,as others have found.
Believe it was NOT a trivial task…but thanks for your input.

Apologies for the delay, yesterday got pretty hectic.

Let’s get you back to start from scratch.

The files that came on the board’s memory card are located here:

Please remove anything on the memory card and put the firmware and config files from there on it.

Then put the card back in the board and power up the board.

The first time you turn it on, the lights should do the “flashing firmware” state as shown here and then go into normal operation mode:

Cohesion3D Board Indicator Status LEDs.

Firmware is the program that runs on the board. It is different than the driver that you need to install on the computer.

That driver is here and on the pages to the smoothieware website linked here:

First try doing the .exe installer for your operating system, and if that fails, then we can work on doing a manual install.

Thanks for that ray but i already found that info and did everything you described above, none of it worked
Just as a final check to see if it was a board issue i loaded windows 10 and it connected straight away!!
So it was a driver issue in win 7 ultimate
Your drivers( or the drivers on the links) just would not work ,manually or aitomacticly with my windows 7 ultimate,
expensive having to upgrade !!
but at least my pc recognizes the laser now

Interesting. The manual install usually has worked in the past when the exe installer did not. It’s a bit cumbersome to do, and there’s always that one computer that is weird and won’t take it, but overall it has worked.

I’m not sure if some more recent Windows 7 update broke things, but aside from the one other guy very recently that couldn’t get it to work, this is news to me.

Yes, on Windows 10 it should work without any drivers.

If you can provide additional information beyond “would not work” I can see if I identify any issues.

You can still run LightBurn on Windows 7 and handle design work on your other computers, the only computer that we need to get this to work on is the one that will be connected to the laser/ C3D board.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.