In need of an Arduino programmer

(Chris Leitch) #21

I have added limit switches. Those are probably useful.
Headers for setting the stepstick mode.
5V Regulator (which can be switched out for whatever)
I now remember why I dislike fritzing. It gets messy. But is visually nice.

(Anthony Bolgar) #22

That just about covers everything. I will see about turning that into an eagle file so I can spin up a board for it, I dislike messy implementations.

(Chris Leitch) #23

I wouldn’t be too quick off the mark. I need to double check the pinouts for the esp32 and it’d be worth breaking out the rest of the pins from it to add sensors ect.
Might want a light sensor for capturing the glorious sunsets!

(Anthony Bolgar) #24

I just do the schematic for now, easy enough to add to it, will wait on the board files though.

(Chris Leitch) #25

I guess if we’re doing it properly a bunch of decoupling caps are needed. Especially a larger electrolytic at the board power input & stepper driver input.
Throw some around the ESP32 to keep it happy.
The power regulator also.
I don’t know if its obvious from that (dare i even call it a) diagram but the 2 pin headers from the stepstick are being pulled low. MS 1 - 3.
The fet up to 5V because ESP32 is 3.3V logic.
The limit switches pulled high because low lets wires break and it doesn’t get caught as easily.
Power input options might be worth the barrel jack and screw terminal?

Anything else that needs clearing up?

I guess I should get a ESP32 to play with :laughing:

(Chris Leitch) #26

Turns out I already had a couple in the stack of boards. Woops. I’ll have a look see about bashing something together :slight_smile:

Also we’ve got loads of pins to play with. I think I’m gonna change the pinouts a bit to remove the microstepping jumpers from the stepstick.

(Chris Leitch) #27

Switch to control microstepping with spare GPIO

(bill northup) #28

I made one quite a few years ago. It was before I got the 3D printer and had made some wood parts and was never happy with it. I used an Arduino, LCD module with 5 push buttons (up, down, left, right and center) for control and also had a bluetooth module where I was just sending ascii strings for remote controlling. I had a shield fo the motor driver and mosfet for controlling the camera.

Found a few pictures of another project - working on a controller to control camera flashes, and a water drip setup for taking pictures of the drips using the flash controller. All arduino based. Also the results.

So if you come up with what hardware you want to use I could help with the building coding and testing.
As a new user I can only post one picture at a time.
_BNP8485-Lightroom|690x458

(bill northup) #29

(bill northup) #30

(Anthony Bolgar) #31

I am open to using just about any hardware, it is all very cheap to purchase. I do have a bunch of Arduino Unos’s laying around, as well as a bunch of 12864 LCD screens with encoders.

(bill northup) #32

Ok this might not help you as much as me. I found all the old electronics. but its simple and not expensice. This goes back quite a few years. I had been using the Arduino’s for quite a while but was teaching myself about steppers because I had never used them prior to that time. I used an Adafruit motor/stepper shield for the UNO https://www.adafruit.com/product/1438 and an Adafruit LCD shield https://www.adafruit.com/product/772 and a blue tooth shield that would hook directly to the UNO serial port, but its no longer sold. I took all the parts and a motor and it all working again. All I would need is a few 3D printed parts for attaching the motor and camera to the rail. If that is a direction you are interested in I can give you the code, but it is using Adafruit libraries for interfacing to their shields.

(Anthony Bolgar) #33

I would not mind the code, would give me a starting point for the build at least.

(bill northup) #34

I found that Adafruit has a camera slider using the same motor shield that I used. I will be taking a look at what they have for software as well.

camera slider