In need of an Arduino programmer

(Anthony Bolgar) #1

I need someone to help me write the code for an Arduino controlled camera slider. If you are interested in helping let me know (This is an Opensource project)

(Chris Leitch) #2

I’ve done some in the past. You got any plans in the works on what you want to use?

(Anthony Bolgar) #3

I would like to use an arduino to control the motor on the camera slider. I would like to be able to enter the length to travel, direction, and time to travel. It also needs to trigger the camera to take still shots every X number of mm movement. Does this sound like something you could help with? I am assuming I would use a n LCD screen and rotary encoder for input.

(Brent Dowell) #4

What are you going to use to make all the parts? I’ve got one I’ve been fooling with, but I used a raspberry pi as the controller and have it serving up a little web page to set the time to travel.

It’s a non-trivial project, lol.

(Brent Dowell) #5

Just a couple pictures.

I used nodejs on the pi to do the ui and control of the slider.

Printed up all the plastic parts.

Using Gphoto on the pi to also control the camera for taking the images.

slider%20ui

(Chris Leitch) #6

I think this type of control could be achieved with either a LCD/rotary or even a web server on a esp8266/esp32 it’d be easy enough to get the web page sorted on that.

Motion control could be dealt with using a stepper motor/control module. Moving a camera wouldn’t take much grunt.

Triggering the camera depends entirely on the camera. I’m no expert there… Or anywhere but :man_shrugging:

(Anthony Bolgar) #7

I have the slider itself made, using OpenBuilds parts, and a few 3D printed pieces. I like the idea of maybe using an ESP322 to control it.

(Brent Dowell) #8

I keep thinking a little bluetooth app with an esp device would be nice. An onboard lcd with buttons would be nice as well, and definitely more portable and simple.

I try to avoid spinning up boards unless they are going to be for mass production.

I try to make do with what I’ve got, and an Arduino mega + ramps + pi zero with otg Adapter would go a long way in a stepper driven slider. Might even be able to control it all with Marlin and OctoPrint.

(Chris Leitch) #10

I was thinking rather than Bluetooth of a little webserver running on the esp serving up a page with the controls on it. It’s got more than enough power to do that and control a motor. Add in a real time clock and you’re set for most of it.

(Anthony Bolgar) #11

Looks basically like what I want it to do.

(Chris Leitch) #12

What camera were you thinking of using? Let’s see how we can trigger the camera.

(Anthony Bolgar) #13

Canon. It uses a +5V trigger

(Chris Leitch) #14

Well that’s easy enough to sort out from most microcontrollers.

(Chris Leitch) #15

So something akin to this, parts are just generic at the moment. An ESP32 dev board connected to a L298n stepper driver and stepper motor.
I know there are better stepper drivers but this is the cheapest way to get what you want working. It’s easy(ish) to add the physical controls to the unused pins. A serial LCD/rotary encoder/whatever else you want. Take a little FET and control the 5V trigger from another of the unused GPIO.

(Anthony Bolgar) #16

Thanks. Could we use a stepstick driver? I have about 30 of them kicking around, and then i could make a small PCB to socket it along with the ESP32 dev board and anything else we end up using.

(Chris Leitch) #17

I didn’t realise how many stepstick drivers I had either!
How about…

What voltage would you be running this at?

(Anthony Bolgar) #18

I will be using 12V. I think that 24V would be overkill.

(Chris Leitch) #19

In that case a very simple 5V regulator would do the trick with dropping the voltage.

(Anthony Bolgar) #20

I have a bunch of 7805’s as well as some buck converters, probably use one of the buck converters to drop the voltage to 5V. Simply 12V in to 5V out, 2 wires in 2 wires out. Does not get any easier than that.