I am about to add a TLC Rotary and have questions

Machine: K40 Mini - Preenex M2 Nano

Board: LaserBoard

Firmware: Smoothie

I am about to add this TLC Rotary: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293645976742

to my K40 Mini with the above configuration. At first I was thinking I would need a switch or to plug and unplug the Y to connect the rotary but it looks like that won’t be necessary due to laserboard having its own separate connection “A”, for a rotary attachment, am I correct in this assumption?

If so, what is the behavior of “Y” when rotary is enabled in Lightburn, is it temporarily disabled?
And what about homing functions, will I still need to manually press the homing switch on the K40’s “Y” axis to fool it into thinking its homed before the rotary will stop spinning… I have seen this behavior in videos where people are swapping with the rotary cable.

Lastly, I am not sure yet weather or not I will need to use an external stepper motor driver with this setup, still digging for information on this.

Any feedback is appreciated!

The machine will still home Y as normal when the rotary is connected. You do connect it to the A axis, and LightBurn will do the right thing when you enable the rotary in your project. It will generate gcodes to send what would be Y movements to A instead.

I looked at the item listing and it looks like it has a common 17HS4401 motor which can be driven from the laserboard quite easily, so there should be no need to use an external stepper driver with this unit.

Thank you @ for having a look at the motor and your help. I am still unclear if I will need to manually tap the limit switch in the K40 when I start the board to stop it from spinning?

Nope. The machine will home normally. the A axis is floating with no limit switches and doesn’t home, so you’re fine there.

Outstanding, Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.