How to wire DM422s

Machine: K40

Board: Cohesion3D LaserBoard

Firmware: Smoothie or GRBL-LPC? “I have a new board and I’m using whatever it came with” is also a great answer!

Problem/ Question: how to wire DM422s, They were suppose to just send the DM422 with the Lightobject power z table but they sent the other one. I need to know how to wire this for Lightobject power z table.

Do I need this with the Cohesion3D LaserBoard ?

Also do I need a separate power supply for the z table because it wont turn the belt, it just hums

I also have the Cohesion3D Rotary

We have people using the LO Z table directly from the driver on the LaserBoard. Please search this forum to read about their experiences and guidance: https://forum.cohesion3d.com/search?q=lightobject

Thanks for the info. I set up Lightobject power z table works great, but I also would like to be able to switch it out and use the DM422s with switches to control the z table when needed. anyone have any Ideas? Thanks

So if I’m understanding you correctly, your goal here is to have jog switches to move the Z table on the front of the machine, as well as have software control through LightBurn.

Putting two stepper drives in parallel to the same motor will almost certainly result in the death of one or both drives, and possibly the motor, too.

Thus, if you want this functionality, it has to be done in firmware (for a number of other reasons I’m not going to immediately get into). The LaserBoard hardware currently does not have provisions for individual manual jog switches.

If I’m remembering correctly, you can jog the individual axes of the machine using the GLCD menu, so if you have the GLCD, you likely already have what you need :slight_smile:

The DM422 honestly doesn’t offer much benefit in this application beyond what the internal driver on the LaserBoard can offer. The LO Z table ships with a 2A peak motor, and the 1.2A RMS setting of the LaserBoard’s internal driver will adequately power it.

NO that’s not what I’m saying. I want to be able to disconnect one or the other depending on the job I am doing, so In other words to different systems just by switching so cables.

I’m curious as to why you want to do this - but yeah, i suppose you could simply disconnect the stepper motor cable from the laserboard and build an umbilical with the right connector coming off the external driver and swap it around that way.

The reason is some jobs need real fine adjustment and I don’t want to keep setting it up to just drop a little or raise a little when I can just hit a button and hold it down to get to my point. I t would save me time

There are software jog controls in LightBurn to do this too - from the Window menu make sure ‘Move’ is selected. In the right-hand pane you’ll see a ‘Move’ sub-window (shared with Cuts). Click that. There are up and down buttons that will jog the table respectively.

Thanks , I seen that I guess I am lazy, I don’t want to have to change the Distance all the time.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.