How to Pulse or Test Fire for Mirror Alighnment?

Machine: _FSL Hobby 20x12
Board: _C3D Laserboard

Firmware: Smoothie or GRBL-LPC? “I have a new board and I’m using whatever it came with” is also a great answer!

Problem/ Question: _How do I pulse fire my laser from either the Laserboard display panel or Lightburn for focusing my mirrors? My MYJG40 PSU does not have a test fire button and my understanding, even if it did, it would be at max power?

Add a contact closure (normally-open momentary button switch) between GND and L on your power supply - this will be your test fire switch. This will fire the laser at whatever power your potentiometer is set at.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I figured it was going to be a jumper type solution. I wish i knew that the 45.00 display panel wasn’t going to let me do this or efficiently let me jog positons. Any application specific consideration I need to make when sourcing the potentiometer? Is there a “go to”?

This is the one Cohesion3D sells, and is highly recommended because of the precision you can achieve:

But, since it’s out of stock … any 10K linear taper potentiometer should do the trick. The value itself isn’t super critical since it’s just acting as a resistive voltage divider, so if you find a 1K or 5K that will work fine, too. I wouldn’t go below 1K, personally.

Thank you! I was digging around and saw some guys using 500 to 10K.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.