Homing and directional issues

Machine: K40 (nothing fancy I think its as standard as they come.)

Board: The Cohesion 3D board

Firmware: Smoothie

I apologise if I made an error in posting or the forums etiquette, I’m new here, thanks for the help.

The problems are as follows. When I home the machine from Lightburns move tab both axis move about 20-30mm before stopping (towards home top left) well before hitting the end stops. If I tell it to go to origin the machine will go to the home position (top left) and crash into both end stops and grind away. If I run a G28 then It will crash its end stops again just as the origin command does (top left).
The origin is set to front left as per the setup guides on Cohesions site. (I have changed the origin around to test both in config file and Lightburn and no change(back to default))

I know the end stops themselves arn’t to blame as the M119 test gives proper results:

M119 - none triggered
X_max:1 Y_min:1 Z_min:1 pins- (X)P1.24:1 (X)P1.25:1 (Y)P1.26:1 (Y)P1.27:1 (Z)P1.28:1 (Z)P1.29:1
M119 - x triggered
X_max:0 Y_min:1 Z_min:1 pins- (X)P1.24:1 (X)P1.25:0 (Y)P1.26:1 (Y)P1.27:1 (Z)P1.28:1 (Z)P1.29:1
M119 - y triggered
X_max:1 Y_min:0 Z_min:1 pins- (X)P1.24:1 (X)P1.25:1 (Y)P1.26:0 (Y)P1.27:1 (Z)P1.28:1 (Z)P1.29:1

The end stops are mechanical depress switches for 3d printers I swapped out the old optical ones for. I have also wired the “horizontal” left right (laser head) motor into X-max and the “vertical” forward back (gantry) into Y-min.

Plus during homing from Lightburn if I trigger the end stops myself the associated axis will back away from the switch for as long as its activated, which I assume is correct behaviour. If I set the gantry to trigger by itself (<20mm from home) I does still grind for a second before backing off the switch.

config file has steps per mm to 157.575 on all axis, feed rate has been turned down to 1000, alpha max travel is 310 and beta is 210 (just bigger than my bed size. All limit_enable values are set to true. Homing retract is 5 for both and debounce is 100.

I did try run a program on it and it all works as intended other than the homing sequence being a grindy mess it will happily do what I tell it otherwise (all axis moving about the right amount and in the correct direction and axis). The gantry unit is out of the laser cutter for now as its easier to work with and if I add a laser right now that’s just extra pain I can yet be bothered with right now haha.

I have a suspicion its the alpha and beta max/min_endstop values:
alpha_min_endstop 1.24^
alpha_max_endstop 1.25^
beta_min_endstop 1.26^
beta_max_endstop 1.27^
But I’m not yet smart enough to know what these values do exactly. Alpha and beta max are 300 and 200 respectively to match my laser size as well as per the “setting up correct bed size” page too.

Forgive my ignorance and me if someone has already had this issue But I could not find it on here. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you for reading.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.