GLCD displays gibberish

Machine: Orion Motor Tech K40 (2020)

Board: Laserboard

Firmware: Smoothie with updates for Light Object Z table

Problem/ Question: Lately my GLCD displays gibberish when I startup. This happens about 80% of the time. It can take several restarts to get a normal display. Sometimes I give up. Nothing was changed on my machine after the initial installation. It worked for about a week or so without issue. Any ideas?

Hi Doug,

This scrambled screen is typically an indication of electrical interference, more specifically inside the cabinet where the board and wiring is.

It is worth making sure that the machine is properly grounded. For more information: https://cohesion3d.com/knowledgebase/usb-dropouts-and-brownouts/

The LPSU is a particularly large source of electrical noise / interference, so you’ll want to make sure that the 2 ribbon cables going to the GLCD are tucked away as much as possible from that and any other wires, especially the high voltage wire from the LPSU.

Some people have had good results with protecting the ribbon cables with an EMI / EMF shielded foil (or aluminum foil).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.