FSL 5th Gen Hobby Laser

Machine:5th Gen FSL Hobby Laser 45W - Stock Controller FSLaser.com v1.1 c2012

Board: Laserboard

Firmware: “I have a new board and I’m using whatever it came with”

Problem/ Question: I see there was a discussion already on this topic, but was closed in May. My controller apparently decided to die and FSL basically told me too bad, so now I’m here :slight_smile: I have NO IDEA what I’m doing, and any and all guidance would appreciated more than you could ever know. I ordered (I don’t know if I needed it all, but figured couldn’t hurt to have it on hand):

|Cohesion3D LaserBoard
|Cohesion3D LaserBoard Power Supply
|LightBurn Software - GCode
|Official LightBurn Camera
|GLCD Adapter
|Graphic LCD Control Panel
|6ft USB Cable
|External Stepper Driver Cable [4 Pack]|

thankyouthankyouthankyou

Assuming we’re talking about this thread and your electronics look like this: Fslaser 5th gen conversion

The Gen5 was a bit more work for what I would call “stupid reasons” as you can see in that post, I did end up doing some soldering, heat shrinking, and other rewiring, including adding 120 ohm resistors to make the stock homing sensors work. It was simple enough for me to figure out, but is the sort of work that can be difficult for other people.

You may want a connector pack:

and at least 2 switches as a backup:

Before doing anything else, please let me know if your controller does indeed look like the one in that post of mine.

thank you! I will get better pictures once my board is returned from FSL

I should also mention, that I will most likely bring in someone who is more knowledgeable than myself to do the actual swap, since I will probably end up killing something and electrocuting myself in the process. I would like to arm them with all the knowledge I can obtain before handing the device over to them, however.

How is your conversion coming along? My Cohesion boards arrive today, and I was planning to swap out my 5th gen FSL this weekend. Any lessons learned or advice you would like to pass on?
thank you!!
John

hey there. I haven’t actually started it yet. I just received my board back from FSL, and was waiting for a response from Cohesion3D. A walk-through would be super helpful. I have a feeling there will be quite a few of us coming here as more and more 5th gens need to be replaced…

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.