Frequent Dropouts

Hi,
I was/am getting frequent dropouts as well. I was at wits end, but I think (or I hope) I stumbled onto something.

I was about ready to uninstall my cohesion3d board and toss it in the trash with it constantly failing on jobs. It was to the point that I would swap out between my m2 nano to do a job and then back to the cohesion board attempting to get it to work. So much for plug and play.

Man, I’v done everything, days and days reading and researching, 3d printed board holder, nylon washers for the screws, drilling a hole in the cabinet, stripping the powdercoating to install a grounding bolt, four or five different usb cables, you name it. nothing seemed to work.

I reformatted my computer and reinstalled windows and lightburn. After this it seemed to work. I got two days of setting up and doing test cuts and whatnot. Last night I decided to do my first paid job with it… 5 seconds in and the machine stops.

The only thing I done differently in those two days was plug my laptop in.

I plugged it into the power bar that my laser is on and maybe its a fluke I don’t know but it stopped the job. I unplugged the laptop from the power bar and put it directly into the wall socket and was able to do the job. 2 hour engrave and 5 minute cut.

I will do more testing today. I need to figure out pwm tuining, I bumped it to 400 but now my brand new Reci 100w laser doesn’t cut through 6mm baltic birch plywood at 80% power @ 15mm sec

I have given up on this board. I swapped back to the M2 nano. The nano works, it naturally doesn’t have features like the cohesion3d board, but it works and thats more than I can say about the c3d

Hi Ed,

We’re sorry to hear you are having dropouts. Quality support takes time and our goal is to get you operational again as soon as possible. Please be patient while we consider possible solutions to resolve your concerns.

You have given up before you’ve given us a chance to even try to assist you. We’re willing to walk through this with you and are here to help, should you choose to accept it.

There are over a thousand boards out in the wild that do not have this issue. It is typically something very environmentally specific that causes it. Either wiring, grounding, EMI/EMF, or other outside variables causing interference.

Please provide clear pictures of your machine, control panel, board, other electrical components, and wiring. We need to see how and where everything is connected.

These are great steps to take to ensure proper grounding. Have you tested continuity on your machine chassis?

Unplug your K40 from the wall to test continuity. Set your multimeter to measure Resistance, then place probes on the earth pin of your power lead wire and any exposed (unpainted) metal on the case of your K40 (other than the ground bolt on the machine). Your multimeter should indicate very low resistance (i.e., under 10 ohms). Also make sure that your LPSU is properly secured to the chassis for grounding.

Here are some pictures of the wiring. I don’t understand how or why my N2 Nano board works without issue but can’t get anywhere with yours.

Wiring or not, I don’t get it. Isn’t your board made of better components? Im not buying another usb cable to add to the collection of usb cables that work with my printer and n2 nano. I don’t see the why I would. If cohesion3d boards work only with a certain cable, then it should be included with the board. In any event, I have four cables here, there is no way they are all bad.

I don’t have a multi meter, but I’ll see if I can borrow one and check the resistance

I currently have the n2 nano wired up as it works, but these pictures are to show you how I have your board mounted

I have hust finished checking the resistance of the machine today. As you can see in the pictures, I have a power bar hard wired in there. I started by checking the resistance of the case itself and then moved on to checking every ground port of the powerbar, the relay, the lpsu, the other power supply and everywhere the ground was attached. The highest reading I received was 0.3. That was with the multimeter set to measure 200 ohms

Hi Ed,

Thanks for providing the images and getting the continuity readings. That’s great news.

First, I want to make sure we’ve ruled out the usual causes which could result in interruption. What Windows version are you running on your laptop?

The computer has sleep/screen saver mode disabled and the USB ports are not set to go into power save mode? Windows updates can reset power save mode, which means it may need to be re-enabled.

Updates can also cause issues with USB drivers, so confirm that yours are the most current: https://cohesion3d.com/knowledgebase/installing-smoothie-drivers-and-knowing-whether-you-need-to/

Hi There,
I am running a fresh install of Microsoft Windows 10 Home Edition. It is activated and the Power settings have been set up as suggested by this forum. All updates have been completed and the USB settings have been checked to make sure they haven’t changed.

I finally fixed this problem for me when I replaced the USB cord that came with the machine.

Thank you for that. I have replaced mine as well. I have four now, and all do the same. I’m looking into a powered hub at the moment

1 Like

I did note that in the comments section of Amazon for the “FE Full Speed USB Data and Power Isolator (FEN-0003)” that is solved one persons Plasma table problems.

At work we had to resort to Ferrite choke cored USB cables for some of our measurement equipment. I am planning on putting that type of cable on my converted FSL 5th gen.