Ethernet adapter for Cohesion3d mini

Can anyone advise on correct fitting of the Cohesion3d mini ethernet adapter?

The silk screen on the mini’s pcb doesn’ seem to indicate which is ground, only pin 10, and the ethernet adapter doesn’t indicate which is pin 10, only gnd/power etc.

Does anyone have a photo I can use for reference?

Might I suggest the Cohesion3D Mini Pinout Diagram? :slight_smile:

You could, I assumed that would be helpful too. But sadly its not got any actual pinout info for the ethernet port.

It shows the orientation that the Ethernet module plugs in, is that not sufficient for your needs?

Here’s the adapter board you sent me:

I’m guessing this diagram means it installs with the socket side facing away from the usb port? But I’m pretty uncertain and you could really do with a better picture here if that’s the case.

Yes, socket to the left and pcb to the right.

Ok will give it a shot.

I would suggest you add some details to the diagram. Just call out the pins on the expansion board socket so its a bit clearer, I would never have assumed the orientation of the ethernet plug in the diagram was actually instructional here.

Put it in first, see if you get any lights on it and the Mini still operates normally.

And then make sure to set the network.enable at the bottom of the config.txt file to true.

If it doesn’t recognize the module or the module is not installed, then the board won’t boot.

1 Like

No joy. When plugged in I get a continuous beep from the LCD panel, garbage characters, and the board does not seem to boot, get a single red LED on the board, think its the VMDT one? network is not yet enabled in the config.

Any ideas?

That would not be good. Does the board still work if you unplug the ethernet module?

Also do you have a pic of how it was plugged in?

Yeah board still works after removing the module.

Will grab a photo in a bit it’s a bit hard to access on my machine Had it oriented so the Ethernet socket faced away from the USB port though.

Ok. If you have a meter you can check for continuity between 3.3v and Gnd legs of the Ethernet adapter while it’s not plugged in to the C3D. We haven’t had any bad ones yet but there can always be a first time.

Working back around to this mini side project again this weekend.

Turns out the ethernet adapter is working, found my IP and its serving the interface via the webpage. However, the LCD is no longer working, showing garbage. Its responding though as if i use the rotary encoder I can see the garbage characters updating.

I’m just using the default config, and have enabled the network.enable configuration option. The LCD is a Reprap Discount GLCD equivalent (specifically this one - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0151H6XWK/ref=pe_1843280_230708500_em_1p_0_ti)

Any ideas?

Looks like its a power supply issue.

If i power up the mini from a usb connection, let the lcd fully boot, then turn on the main PSU it works fine. Seems like the ethernet adapter board is pulling just enough power to prevent the bootup of the LCD correctly. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? I’d rather not have an external USB connection just to power on the lcd, On the smoothieboard I know you can swap out the regulator to provide more amps, is that something I can do on the mini too?

The 5v regulator on the C3D Mini should be able to provide more current than a USB port.

However, the K40 Laser PSU (and the Full Spectrum you have is very similar) is notorious for having a very weak 24v power rail that might be causing this. Do you have a separate 24v psu powering your C3D Mini?

This is actually installed on a Full Spectrum Laser 4th gen. The psu seems pretty beefy but may have issues.

Anyway seems like I will be removing the Ethernet adapter since it’s not really that useful with lightburn.

The PSU in the FSL Gen 4 is the same type as the K40’s with a weak 24v rail:

1 Like

That’d explain it then. Seems to work ok with just the glcd so will remove the adapter and run with that. Am going to put a PC near to the laser to drive direct over USB instead.

The cheap laptop to dedicate to the laser running LB solution appears to be growing in popularity, especially with the camera support.

Are there any recommendations on min spec?