Duplicate driver to drive additional motor

Machine: K40 - Custom rebuild - Cartesian

Board: LaserBoard

Firmware: Smoothie

Problem/ Question: Long story short is there a way I can duplicate/copy one driver to another in the config file?

I’m rebuilding my K40 into a larger open frame design and am driving the Y axis with two seperate steppers. They home and move normally at slower speeds but are both plugged into the Y driver, I would like to repurpose the Z or A driver and make it a duplicate of the Y.

I’ve done this before using Reprap firmware on Duet Boards, I am hoping Smoothie and this board would have a similar ability.

Attached is a photo and my current config file.
config.txt (28.4 KB)

You’re in luck - it’s actually a simple hardware fix. You can slave A to Y using those three jumpers on the board. Move them all to the “follow Y” position and you’re good to go.

I must caution and warn you against doing this on a CO2 laser, however, as if one motor stalls or loses steps or something all of a sudden your mirrors will be out of alignment and a high power laser will now be pointing somewhere other than the laser head, which could be extremely dangerous. It’s generally better to build the machine using a single motor and use a shaft to connect both driven elements. The mirrors will stay in alignment a lot better and you’ll have a rigid coupling to keep the machine square when you inevitably move the gantry by hand.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.