So I’m currently building a custom 80w Laser Cutter. I posted once on the google plus page but I must say I’m liking the forum style. Definitely the right direction I’d say. Anyway, I just wanted to post further progress with the laser. My goal is to turn this laser cutter into a laser cutter / 3d printer hybrid but that’s a bit further down the line.
As of 2 days ago I finished running the cables that go to the laser head (for red dot or other peripherals) through the drag chain as well as an air line. I placed my limit switches where they belong, using NPN NO Proximity Switches, wired them in place, tested them, added the !'s to the SD card, ran it and so far it all works.
Well, it wasn’t that easy… I made a lot of mistakes along the way and hopefully, my screw ups can help you.
First of all when I bought the sensors I didn’t realize that I had purchased npn NO sensors instead of NC. If you don’t know the difference between the two I suggest you do a quick google search. As of 2 days ago I didn’t have a clue. Only learned all this through troubleshooting. So I ran all the cables, made everything semi-neat, tested the sensors with a piece of metal, the sensor turned on and off, started the machine up, turned LighBurn on, interface worked, sent the machine to the home position and it didn’t work. I checked the cables everything seemed fine, restarted it and re-tried it and the same thing happened. A little cursing here, and a little cursing there, and I realized that I had npn NO instead of npn NC sensors. So I did some reading, found out about putting the ! in the right place in the SD card, tested it and it didn’t work again. I was quite puzzled by this. So I did a little more cursing and I just walked away from it and took a break. I went back online and did some more digging and found out I actually wasn’t supplying enough power for them to operate properly. My sensors required 6-36v and I was connecting them to the LaserBoard so they were only getting 5v. I then tested feeding the positive terminal of the switch with 12v instead of 5 and I finally got it working properly.
Next step is to line up, square up, and tension the belts. I can jog the motors using lightburn right now and get the laser head to move, but when I try to start a job depending on where in the bed it is located, it grinds and loses a lot of steps but that’s another issue for another day.