Cohesion3D LaserBoard and Epilog Radius (25) laser

Can the LaserBoard be placed into the Epilog Radius 25 (specific model)?

This is an older model, Parallel port enabled and requires XP driver base to support

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the forum! I have upgraded your trust level so that you can now upload photos.

Relevant post: Universal laser

However, we can take a look at what you are working with and let you know more. What type of tube does your machine use - is it RF or glass CO2? Please provide clear pictures of your machine, control panel, board, other electrical components, and wiring. The entire electronics compartment and laser power supply would be helpful to see also.

Here are what the insides look like:and its not a CO2 tube (yet) but I plan on upgrading

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the photos.

This would be a more involved conversion than the standard K40 setup, so it will take a bit of tinkering to figure out. Below are some topics to get you started.

RF excited CO2 tubes are generally considered better than their glass counterparts, so it may not be beneficial for you to change it. More info from Epilog on tube differences. The topic I shared before for the Universal Laser goes into more detail about what would be needed to operate an RF tube, including something to control a tickle signal. It is not a plug and play setup.

If you decide to go with a CO2 glass tube and have a compatible LPSU type, we can control that with the LaserBoard. I didn’t get a good pic of your laser power supply connections, but there is more info here on which terminals are needed to run to the board in our LPSU Connection Guide.

Since you have external servo drivers for your motors, you could run those from the external driver ports on the LaserBoard. You might need to get compatible connectors for them. Covered here: Connecting External Drivers

Relevant info: Can Cohesion3d controllers drive servos?

Unfortunately, the pictures of the current controller do not show much in the way of labeling which connectors are for what devices. Trace each of the wires to determine where they lead to each of the components on your machine to get more information.

Essentially, what is needed for the LaserBoard to operate is a laser power / fire signal and ground (covered in the LPSU Guide above), connections for the X and Y axes (your external drivers), as well as for the endstops where your machine homes and triggers them. See Installing Endstops / Limit Switches. The board comes with its own 24V power supply. You would also need to check your Z table motor and connections to see how it is connected and what type of motor is used.

If you have a friend who is well versed in electronics, that may help things along.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.