Cohesion3d Compatible with K40 Whisperer?

Hey guys, I’m brand new to the laser world. I have one of the cheap Chinese made K40s and upgraded the board to the cohesion3d and I’m trying to use it with K40 Whisperer and it won’t recognize the laser. I’ve tried uninstalling and re-installing K40 Whisperer several times, including the driver, etc and no luck. Is K40 Whisperer compatible with the Cohesion3d laserboard or do I have to use Lightburn with it???

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the forum! K40 Whisperer is not currently capable of controlling the Cohesion3D LaserBoard. You need a program which can control Smoothieware, like LightBurn. Give it a try. It has a 30 day trial and comes highly recommended.

Thanks Starla, I appreciate it. I’ve downloaded lightburn and it recognized my laser, so that’s a plus. When I tried actually using it though, the laser isn’t firing. It moves around and follows the file that I’ve created but the laser doesn’t work. Is this because it’s a free trial or maybe a setting or something? Thanks!

Hi Ken,

We noticed that you ordered the license for LightBurn. The trial version is fully featured and good for 30 days, so we can wait until this is working before fulfilling the key.

There are a few things which could cause issues with laser firing. We will walk through some scenarios to diagnose the root cause.

Please provide clear pictures of your board, machine, and wiring.

Send some lines as explained here: PWM tuning for Smoothie Firmware such as the G1 X10 S0.8 F600

Try an S value of up to S1.0 (100%).

The head should move while firing. A red LED “Laser Fire Status” in the bottom left corner of the board should turn on.

Tell us exactly what does and does not happen.

Hi Starla, thanks again for the response. The laser is firing but it’s not cutting or engraving correctly. I’m sure it’s user error as I’m brand new to this. I’ve got the mirrors and everything aligned and the work area is at the right focal length so I’m not sure what’s going on. I’m attaching a few pictures. One is what I was trying to cut/engrave as s test run and the outside line that should be cut, was correct, but all the interior engraving and cutting was overlapped and or incorrect. Any suggestions?

Disregard Starla, I think I’ve got it figured out. Thanks again for your help!

Hi Ken,

I’m glad you got it sorted! Out of curiosity, what ended up being the issue? We are working on documenting the most common use cases encountered to provide more robust resources for people to reference when they hit road blocks.

1 Like

Hi Starla, I apologize for the delayed response. I watched some of the Lightburn tutorial videos and went in to the Cuts/Layers window and adjusted the speed and power and that helped a lot.

Quick question for you. The K40 laser I have has the analog ammeter and the adjustable power control knob. What actually controls the power of the laser with the cohesion 3d laser board and lightburn, the adjustable knob on the control panel or what I select in the Cuts/Layer window? Or a combination of both? Let’s say on the laser control panel, I have the knob selected to 15ma, or 50% power, and in the Cuts/Layers Window I have a Line/Cut Power setting set at 50%, what is the actual power going to be to the laser? Thanks for any help you can give me with this!

I think I found the answer to my own question. From what I found, most people will set 15ma or 50% on their Pot on the control panel, so that sets a max of 15ma/50% at all times and if I set, let’s say 50% on the Cuts/Layers window, in essence, the power to the laser will be 7.5ma/25% power, or if I set 100% Power in the Cuts/Layers window, the actual power to the laser will be 15ma/50% power. Am I understanding that correctly? Thanks!

1 Like

15mA on a 40W tube is close to 100% power, for what it’s worth. Yes, your interpretation of what’s going on is correct. Another way of stating it is that the potentiometer is a hardware maximum power limit and the software controls the power steps up to that hardware limit.

Makes perfect sense, thanks Loather!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.