Closed loop stepper install

Machine: Custom build

Board: Laserboard

Firmware: _Smoothie

Problem: I am installing a closed loop stepper and need to know where to hook up the alarm circuit.

Did you provide those pictures? We need pictures to understand your setup!

Closed-loop steppers should be run in open-loop mode with the laserboard. There’s no provision to attach the alarm circuit to the board, unfortunately. If you’re using the built-in stepper drivers, this involves leaving the encoders disconnected and just connecting the bipolar drive. It’s not compatible with 3-phase steppers unless you’re using external drivers.

It is using a separate driver, I have the cabling for a separate driver as well. , I have a TB6600 in it already, but it steadily loses steps to the right, tried lowering the acceleration, changing motor amperage and such, but no luck, changed both the driver and the motor, no change, pretty sure it’s a problem with the driver (it’s a cheap one off Amazon) didn’t have this problem when I ran the motor from the control board, but the motor is rated at 1.6 amps, and since I rebuilt the gantry it’s a bit heavier, don’t trust the boards 1.2 amps to keep up.

There are two pins behind the RST button on the control board, didn’t know if those would work for the alarm circuit or not. And if it can’t, then will the stepper work in closed loop without the alarm circuit connected?

It should work fine without the alarm circuit connected. All that does is signal to the host controller the stepper stalled when it was commanded to move so the program can properly abort or retryas needed. Since Smoothieware doesn’t have provisions to handle servos there’s no reason to connect it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.