Camera not being recognized by my computer

My computer says the camera has a problem (problem 43). Is there a driver for the camera. Lightburn sees my laptop camera but not the Cohesion3D camera. Computer says usb device malfunctioned. I just plugged a diffrent usb camera into the computer and it worked. So what could be wrong with the Cohesion3D camera? In Device Manager it says “Device Descriptor Request Failed”.

Hi Bill,

We are sorry to hear that you are having an issue with the camera.

Code 43 usually means that the Windows driver has lost communication with the drive or the driver has crashed. Usually this is fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

1. On your Windows machine, go to Device Settings > COM & LPT.
  2. When you plug in the device, is a USB Serial Device (COM#) appearing in the list?
  3. If so, right click and go to Properties. Are you seeing any errors?
  4. Go to the Driver tab and update the driver.
  5. In Device Manager, go to Universal Serial Bus controllers.
  6. Find the “Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)”
  7. Right-click and “Uninstall” it.
  8. Reboot the computer and try to connect the USB again.
  9. Do you hear a ding and/or get a prompt that the computer is attempting to set up the device?

Starla,

On your Windows machine, go to Device Settings > COM & LPT.

• Done

when you plug in the device, is a USB Serial Device (COM#) appearing in the list?

• No The Com (Com 3) is there before plugging in camera but nothing else when camera is plugged in.

If so, right click and go to Properties. Are you seeing any errors?
Go to the Driver tab and update the driver.
In Device Manager, go to Universal Serial Bus controllers.

• Done

Find the “Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)”

• Done

Right-click and “Uninstall” it.

• Done

Reboot the computer and try to connect the USB again.

• Done

Do you hear a ding and/or get a prompt that the computer is attempting to set up the device?

• Hear the notes saying the computer sees it but it says “Not recognized, Malfunction Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed” I have tried to update driver and it says best driver already installed. What bothers me is that I can disconnect it from the USB socket and plug in another USB camera and it shows up immediately My thoughts are either a bad camera or bad USB cable. What is the next step?

Thanks,
Bill Blasic
P.S. Any news on my request for Rotary.

Hi Bill,

If you press the cable very firmly into the camera module, does it fix the issue? Sometimes that connector can work loose. Do you see any damage or loose wires on the USB cord that came with the camera?

For the rotary, your order is next in queue to be processed.

Starla,
I have double and triple checked that it is in as far as it can be. The white little box around the connector had a little chip out of it when it got here but I don’t believe that it has anything to do with it as you can see that it is flush all around when connected. The cable looks fine with no wires hanging. I have that cable run with the entire cable kit and I would hate to have to disconnect it. Would it be possible to just send the camera and have you test it. That way we would know what is not right camera or cable. Great to hear about rotary!
Than ks,
Bill
P.S. The fact that the computer knows that when I put it in the USB port must mean something. It just immediately says thast it has a problem, don’t know.

Hi Bill,

I will respond to the ticket you sent us.

Starla,
I tried another computer same thing, moved wires and moved wires - nothing. My thoughts were of sending it back. I thought that it would unsnap from the piece that holds it with the 2 thumb screws so I started to take it apart and then thought better of it and snapped it back down. I pulled the cable out of the laser and then said what the heck plugged it back into the computer and guess what - the camera now works. Maybe the unsnapping and resnapping moved something inside, don’t know but now cable put back camera put back all plugged in and working.

1 Like

Starla,
Finally thought I’m ready to go. Again camera not working but that is not half of it nothing works on the laser. No movement. Looking for laser it finds Smoothie board. The only thing that worked was the test fire button.
The camera is back to where it was, same messages. my only means of fixing camera is to start with cable, how much for a new cable.
What may I try to get the laser working? I’ve tried for 4 hours and get nothing.

Hi Bill,

Sorry to hear you are having issues. Make sure your SD card is inserted before powering on the board.

Please provide clear pictures of your machine, control panel, board, other electrical components, and wiring with the LaserBoard connected. We need to see how and where everything is connected.

For the camera, please open a ticket from our Contact form and I’ll follow up with you on Monday.

Starla, you mentioned SD card and I started looking about and found some reference to a SD card enclosed with software on it. Now I received no SD card but had put an empty one in the slot. What I read gave two files to be downloaded which I did and when I turned on the machine it worked! So still have to figure out why it is printing light no matter what power setting and why it is printing a negative instead of a positive and why when I put what is to be printed at the top it prints on the bottom. So I’m getting there.
Bill

Hi Bill,

The memory card is typically in a small plastic case in the bubble wrapped pouch that contains the board and C3D Sticker. Please check the packaging, if you still have it. I’m glad you were able to find another card and get it running.

Are you saying that the machine is firing all of the time? What steps are you taking when you experience this issue?

Please provide clear pictures of your machine, control panel, board, other electrical components, and wiring with the LaserBoard connected. We need to see how and where everything is connected.

What type of file are you trying to work with? Can you provide screenshots (not cell phone pics, please) of what file you are working with and pictures of what the output looks like, please?

Make sure your Device Origin is set properly.

In LightBurn, Edit > Device Settings and set the ‘Origin’ to the front left (lower) corner.

Also, you can set LightBurn to start at different job origin points or positions and even have it finish in the location you want versus going back to the machine origin point. More information: Coordinates and Job Origin

Starla,

Got laser power situated now, when trying to burn Lightburn was set at 10%, this meant that the program was burning at 10% of what the laser was set at. Changed that and now burns great.

When I put a .png file the black lines that I expected to be burned were not burned but the white areas that should not be burned were being burned. I had to put in a program and change it so the white areas were black and the black areas were white then it burned properly.

Devise Origin is set lower left but still when i put what I’m trying to burn at top left it burns bottom left. left and right ore OK but top and bottom reversed.

I am learning more every day, sorry to be a pain. I will look for SD card as everything is in one place.

Thanks,

Bill

Starla,
Found the SD card, got the X Z axis working correctly. Still working on negative thing. but all in all doing well. Still no camera.
Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the additional info.

Great, I’m glad you got it sorted.

There is a Negative Image option on the Cut Settings if you double click the layer. More info: Engraving Images

Checking into the camera for you. I emailed you yesterday and will follow up on that as soon as I have an update.

Starla, borrowed a cable and it fired right up. So it is definitely the cable and not the camera. Hated to but had to give cable back.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for confirming. I’ve been working on getting a replacement cable for you. It takes time to coordinate, so I appreciate your patience. I’ll email you with more information soon.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.