All a bit wonky

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Good morning Anthony,
I changed the wires around and still no joy. I was wondering if I have it on the correct ground? I have checked the meter with a 9v battery and the wires are back correctly. Could I take the gnd straight to the chassis ground or does it have to go through the power supply?

Again many thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,

Here is our doc for How to Install an mA Meter, in case you need it.

Which LPSU model do you have? If you have a high power LPSU, it may be a slightly different wiring than we cover in the doc, but we have info on other models. Can you provide clearer pictures that show the entirety of your setup please? FG from the LPSU would go to chassis ground.

You can test the meter with a battery to see if it moves by wiring the POS and NEG terminals momentarily. The needle should peg to the maximum on the meter when you connect it.

Let us know if this test works.

Starla,
good morning and firstly thanks for taking the time to help.
I have carried out the battery test, all ok.
I have wired according to a large part unit, as it met a better description of my one. However when I for three laser the needles barely moves. I am fitting at 60% laser machines power and pressed the machine laser test for button. Not sure if that would be the correct way to do it.
I have attached pictures as requested.
Many thanks in advance
Chris

Hello Starla,
It is still not moving, is there any reason why I could not take the gnd to the machine gnd. As in attach it to the same point on the machine bodywork?
The blue cable in the pic is from the discharge end of the laser tube, so I have spliced into that and the laser is fitting ok. So I can only assume (I know you should never assume) it is the gnd connection at fault.
Many thanks in advance

Chris

Oops, sorry a few errors, the laser is firing not fitting.

Hello Starla,
It is still not moving, is there any reason why I could not take the gnd to the machine gnd. As in attach it to the same point on the machine bodywork?
The blue cable in the pic is from the discharge end of the laser tube, so I have spliced into that and the laser is fitting ok. So I can only assume (I know you should never assume) it is the gnd connection at fault.
Many thanks in advance

Chris

Hi Chris,

To confirm, when you fire the laser from the test button, you are saying the needle barely moves on the mA meter and that you have the digital panel set to 60%?

You are asking about the ground going to the machine ground. I mentioned before that FG from the 3 pin header on the LPSU would go to chassis ground (the body of your machine). You may need to remove paint around the ground lug inside of the compartment for it to make proper contact. In the diagram in our instructions, we have an example:

FG would be the “peach” colored wire in your pics. Where does the other end of this wire lead to? Unfortunately, I cannot tell from the photos.

The ground (G) on the 6-pin header on your LPSU should complete a circuit with the P terminal. Yours is shorted with the little yellow wire with ferrets, so that is good as-is. No need to change it.

Do you have another ground terminal on the far right of the LPSU? The angle makes it difficult to tell.

Good afternoon Starla,
The peach wire goes to the minus terminal on the meter.
Thanks
Chris

Starla, the other write in with the peach goes to machine ground.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for clarifying. Based on your last posts, this sounds like it is wired correctly: the peach wire goes from the negative terminal on the mA meter to FG on the LPSU and the yellow wire goes from FG to chassis ground. Please confirm.

The blue wire from the cathode negative terminal (discharge end) should connect directly to the positive terminal on the mA meter. It looks like it is connected to the correct side of the meter in the photo.

image image

This is the part I am still needing clarification on. You say that you have spliced into the the blue wire. Are you referring to the same blue wire above that is connected to the tube and the meter?

Is the below image the splice you are referring to or do you have multiple blue wires and if so, what are they connected to? There should be nothing else connected between the laser cathode and the mA meter. Please confirm.

Starla,
Good evening, that is correct with the blue wire. I was just fortunate enough to have the same colour with my other wire. It’s the same thickness wire also 0.75. I just can’t explain why it is not working, I have connected a battery to the terminals on the meter and it appeared to work ok.
Many thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,

When you fire the laser, is the gas in the tube turning a pinkish-purple? Do you see any signs of arcing in the tube compartment or on the tube itself? If you can get clear pictures of the entire area, we can take a look at it also.

Does it fire when you hit the test fire on the control panel? I’m about to be out soon for the holiday, so I’ll follow up with you on Monday. Have a great weekend!

Good morning Starla, expect you would be gone by the time this gets to you, so I hope you had a lovely time with family and friends.
The laser works, I have been cutting and engraving all the time. I will upload a picture of the laser firing. The only issue is I can’t get the meter to work so can’t tell optimum power setting. I currently run it at 60% of three laser power and it seems to be doing the job all be it a bit weak further away from home position. Lenses clean and aligned, I think the bed may be a bit out but I have a chain rather than o belt on my z drive so a bit more complicated to adjust, but I will lol.
Picture to follow.
Again I can not praised you enough for the time you are giving to me, many thanks

Chris

Hello Starla, hope you have had a great thanks giving weekend.
Here is the picture of my laser firing. There is no arcing. Just can’t understand why the meter is not working.

Many thanks again
Chris

Thanks, Chris! I did enjoy the time with everyone. Happy to help!

Great, the laser color looks good while firing.

Since the meter works with the battery test but not when wired, it could be that the wires are not making proper contact to the terminals on the back of the meter or at the LPSU end.

It’s hard to tell from the photos as they are a bit blurry. Are you using ring tongue terminals on the ends connected to the meter? If not, we recommend using them. If so, double check the inside of the crimps where the wires are compressed to make sure they are touching the ring. Also, confirm that the rings are touching properly on the meter terminal screws. Ensure the connections are insulated.

Otherwise, the wire may not be making proper contact inside the LPSU screw terminal. Try using a terminal pin or ferrule pin and securely screw the set screw onto it. Make sure the header is firmly connected on the power supply too.

It sounds like you may need to do some continuity tests on your LPSU itself if everything is aligned and cleaned properly and you are dropping power. Loss of power as you move away from home does sound like an alignment issue though. There are some great resources over at the Maker Forums for how to run diagnostics on your laser power supply.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.