About Us & Expectations [IMPORTANT]

About Me

Hi!

I’m Ray, the owner of Cohesion3D, and that guy that you may occasionally see commenting on the LightBurn Forum and various laser groups on Facebook!

This is me on the right at one of our trade shows (and that’s Drew from OSHPark on the left, they make amazing circuit boards for prototyping, and we have matching cats from Louise Driggers!):

At Cohesion3D, I do Research & Development, handle manufacturing, pack and ship orders, answer inquiries via email and the support forum, travel for trade shows, and perform a never ending list of other duties.

I also have some other projects going and I work on a number of things for our friends at LightBurn Software.

When I’m not working, I might be tinkering on 3D Printers for fun (I may or may not be up to having 25 printers here), volunteering at robotics competitions, or rock climbing:

This is the amazing view on a multi-pitch climb at The Gunks in Upstate New York. The top is 250ft/ 76m high and we are most of the way up in this picture.

Happy Things

Some things that I’d like you to know:

I really like doing what I do. It’s amazing hearing feedback from customers that we’ve made their machines from something painful, into something that’s usable, and enjoyable to use. One particular comment really stood out:

“Your board and software have transformed my machine (K40) from something that took all day to use, to something that I use all day” - Matthew Oswald, creator of the Mugsy Robotic Coffee Maker.

Expectations

Now, that said, sometimes people are demanding, impatient, need an answer right now, don’t read, or don’t put effort into getting help, and we have to talk about that (I don’t mean any offense, but this is reality):

• I actually want to help. I really, really do.

• When I’m handling support, some things are quicker to answer than others. That’s why you might see I’ve responded to some other posts but not yours yet. Putting thought into those responses takes time. I’m not ignoring you.

• On the email it’s just me. On the forum, we have a number of knowledgeable power users and other community members that can also help you. I’m not responding to inquiries on weekends or holidays, other people in the community might. Finally, everyone else can read the forums, so hopefully the next person that has the same question that you did can find the answer and save everyone some time. That’s why I always push support questions to the forums. It’s not because I’m trying to push you off or not help you. I actually want to help. I really, really do.

• This is not Amazon, Dell, or HP. I am one guy, trying to serve my customers as best I can, while still trying to have some semblance of a life outside of work. Orders can take up to 3 business days to ship - it’s stated on the Product Page and in the Contact Us Form section about Shipping Times.

• If I get an email about “when will this ship?!?!?!” (and I get a lot of them), well, I have now stopped responding to those. It was clearly stated, it will go out within 3 US business days, and then you’ll get the “Order Complete” email and tracking information once it has shipped.

• If I get multiple emails and other prodding pushing for help and complaining about response times, all that does is slow me down and stress me out. I am thinking about your issues 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and working on solutions in my brain. Thoughtful support takes time. Please respect that and don’t make me feel overwhelmed with the support load. For other companies in this space, it is not unusual for it to take up to 3 business days to receive a response. I try to be as quick as possible, but sometimes things take time.

• Please make it easy for us to help you by telling us about your machine, board, and firmware, clearly explaining your issue, and providing pictures and video so that we can best understand your setup and issues.

Conclusion

I truly don’t mean to offend anyone with what I’ve said above. I get that you’re a good person, you’re new to all this, you’re just trying to get your laser running, and you didn’t know any better. It’s OK.

But as Cohesion3D keeps growing, I have to make it clear that in order for me to be able to keep doing this I need breathing room, mental peace, and the ability to do my job.

I want to thank everyone for their ongoing support, which has allowed Cohesion3D to get this far. Now we need to keep it going.

pinned globally #2